Do I need to take this class if I am active duty military or a veteran?

No. Virginia recognizes your military service as qualification to obtain a permit. Take your military I.D. card and a copy of your orders showing that you are stationed in Virginia to the circuit court in the locality in which you reside. Veterans should take a copy of their DD-214 form as evidence of military service.